Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tight Spaces Amazing Places

When Michael was researching our trip, he found this cave to go and visit. This is the second biggest cave in North America with 146 miles of caves discovered *so far*. As an added bonus, if you'd like to try spelunking, they offer tours to those 16 and older. The catch is that you have to fit in an 8 1/2 inch opening.
Michael made a reservation to go spelunking, but he wound up with a bruised chest when he tried to go through the cement torture device. I could have taken his spot, but I'm a little to claustrophobic to think that something like that is fun. The kids had to show off and slide through the opening like it was nothing to them.

As it turned out, I was happy that Michael went on the "Scenic Tour" with me and the three kids. We climbed about 725 stairs and took an hour and a half to see parts of the cave. I liked taking the tour, but we practically had epileptic seizures due to all the people taking pictures with their flash on. I swear that we would turn around and a flash would blind us. It probably didn't help that we didn't have lunch until we were done with the tour. Low blood sugar is not a good thing when you're traveling.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I think claustrophobia must be a genetic thing...I certainly have it.

We went through the Lewis and Clark Caverns last summer - lots of steps but not too many tight spaces. A little bending over two or three times and a place where you had to sit down and slide (okay, that was fun).