Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Evolving Activities

So, the last post with the Filo figures was just an idea for future activities to do with the girls for Activity Days. I was in charge of the activity for this week and I didn't want to spend any money but I wanted to have a "fun". Not that it's impossible to be frugal and fun, but I find that it does take a bit of creativity to make both happen.

Initially I thought about doing an engineering project involving playdough, straws, dixie cups and pennies. While the idea may have sounded fun to me, I had to put myself in the mind of a 8/9 year old girl...ok, I asked Emma and she didn't seem too interested. Probably because I didn't sell it hard enough. She was interested in the playdough and was pleased as punch that she got to help me make a batch.

The engineering activity turned into a Library Appreciation activity. I checked out a bunch of fun books and integrated "how to make playdough" as a way to use your local library. I also checked out some riddle/joke books and had the girls read them to each other. That might have filled up the entire time, but the girls did want to make their own bookmarks and play with the homemade playdough. Easy peasy Parcheesi.

No comments: