Friday, June 19, 2009

Bicycle Ride

After so much rain/cloudy weather we left the house bright and early for a bike ride to the park. I figured that I could wear the kids out with fresh air and sunshine.

We met a friend of Jack's at the park and managed to stay for almost two hours. If that didn't tire them out, surely the mile to and from would do the trick. Emma was in a generous mood and let Jack's friend ride her bike home. I wondered how long it would take before she realized she had to walk all the way home.

I must have been in a crazy place, because I offered to let Emma ride on the bike with me. Mind you, I have Lily sitting in the kid seat behind me. Emma climbed on the bar between the seat and the handlebars. Yup, she didn't last too long sitting on that bar. I told her as I was slowing down that she needed to "hop" off the bike as soon as I stopped. Did that happen?

In a perfect world, she would have gracefully hopped off as I glided to a full and complete stop. Instead, she clung to the bike like a howler monkey which meant that I couldn't reach the ground without tipping the bike sideways. With Lily on the back, the bike gave up the fight as it could no longer defy gravity. We all took a slow motion tumble in the grass.

Not one of my brighter ideas. Emma and Lily didn't sustain any injuries and Emma went on to jog the rest of the way home.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm glad no one got hurt! I never could ride a bike with the child seat. I think I have something wrong with my sense of balance...I blame that on the whole roller skating fiasco.

Mad Runner said...

I am picturing the graceful part and you not getting injured.. how did that happen? I would have had the chain wrapped around an ankle if not my neck!

Lauren 'lost' her bike this week so we are shopping for a bike that will be hers first and not a hand-me-down. She is thrilled!

And Deb...How could that be from roller skating? Have you been trying to fit Alex on your handle bars again?