Monday, December 31, 2007

A New Year's Eve to Remember

So I started to take down my Christmas decorations this afternoon and I came across a bit of nostalgia. Every year when I take out my Christmas decoration I have a cheesy red necklace made out of tinsel. I'm never quite sure how I'm going to incorporate it into my "designer" decor, but I alway manage to find a spot for it.

Michael and I got this necklace when we were living in New Jersey and decided (on a whim) to go to Times Square and watch THE ball drop on New Year's Eve 1999. We rode the subway into Manhattan around 7:00 pm and managed to get behind some barricades on 46th st. We were allowed to stay in the box, but if we wanted to leave we weren't allowed back in. Things got a little desperate for some people that were a "little" tipsy and needed to go pee. Let's just say that it's a good thing there's no smell-o-vision. Things look much prettier on tv.

Random people were handing out noise makers and cheesy necklaces to the masses (I'm sure to make people look prettier for tv). I barely remember the ball dropping, but I sure remember all the random bits and pieces that made up a memorable New Year's Eve.

What are we doing this year? Watching movies, playing board games, and drinking IBC rootbeer. I'm not sure that I'll make it until midnight.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I think we will be celebrating New Years on Eastern Standard Time. The romance of staying up until midnight is just not there anymore.

I think I lost it when I turned 20.