Saturday, June 7, 2008

C is for Cookie

I found a recipe for a basic cookie dough a while ago and have been itching to make it. I would have made them sooner, but I kept forgetting to put vanilla pudding on my shopping list. I ended up freezing half the dough and taking lots to my neighbors. I'm thinking that this might be a good "Christmas" cookie.


Pudding Cookies

4 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 t. baking soda
1-1/2 c butter (3 sticks) softened
1-1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. white sugar
2 (3.4 oz.) pkgs. instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs, room temp
2 t. vanilla extract
4 c. of whatever add-ins you want to use like chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter/white chocolate chips, candy bars, m&m's, nuts, andes mint chips, etc.

Yield @ 8 dozen

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together flour and baking soda in separate bowl and set aside; in a large bowl, cream butter, brown and white sugar. Beat in pudding mix until well blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. When smooth, slowly add in the flour mixture. This can take a little while, but make sure it's well incorporated into mix.
Finally, add the "fillers". (you can divide the dough to have different types) Use a melon scoop to put small 1 inch cookies on wax paper. Bake 8-12 minutes.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

What do the cookies taste like? Are they similar to basic toll house cookie dough? I would have to remember to put pudding on my grocery list...I have a lot of staples in my cupboards, but instant pudding isn't considered a staple at my house (I'm partial to cooked pudding only)

Suzanne said...

I thought that the pudding would give it a "different" taste, but it didn't. Pretty much like a toll house dough, maybe a little sweeter. The reviews for the cookie were exactly how I like my cookies, soft in the center almost crisp at the edges. I guess it helps to make them smaller as well. The recipe makes a ton of cookies, definitely a "sharing" cookie.

Keira said...

Where's the "after" picture. This sounds so yummy I think I'll need to run out for some vanilla pudding...unless you think chocolate pudding might do. I ALWAYS have chocolate pudding on hand.

OKTownsends said...

Suzanne, this is Lori (Turner) and I am Debbie's friend. This is almost the exact recipe I use to make chocolate chip cookies. The pudding helps the cookies to come out perfect every time and only adds a little flavor. I have used chocolate pudding, etc. My family, my neighbors and my ward members are always asking me for these cookies. We make them at our house every Sunday. Hope you don't mind if I look at your blog. You have beautiful children by the way.

Suzanne said...

After picture? There are no leftovers. :)

Kim said...

Ooh, I was just going to make cookies after finishing catching up on the blog world. And I just so happen to have vanilla pudding on hand that I purchased at the store on a whim. Maybe I was inspired to get some so I can make these...