Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Talk

I found out Saturday night, as I was going to bed, that Jack had a talk for Primary. I don't need a lot of time, but at least 24 hours notice is good to have. We pretty much sat through Sacrament writing his talk on 3x5 note cards. I then had him take the cards to class and "practice" reading his talk.

Jack starts his talk off a little shaky. He fumbled over the word Nazareth, but recovers nicely and talks loud and clear. I can tell he's getting to the end of his talk, he's in the middle of a personal story. Then, mid sentence, he steps away from the podium and bolts to his chair. From the back row, I try and tell him he has one more note card, but he's sheepishly sitting with his class trying to melt into his chair.

Next time, we'll forgo the note cards and write his talk on a regular piece of paper. Hopefully we'll have more notice.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Kudos to Jack for getting up and giving a talk. Or half a talk.

Yeah, we've written talks in Sacrament meeting too.

The first talk I ever gave in Sacrament meeting wasn't even written - I had totally spaced that I was giving a talk until we walked into church - right before Sacrament meeting. Dad had a little book in his pocket - a sort of topical guide for the scriptures - and I had to wing it from that. Lesson learned. I now tend to WAY overprepare.

Frankie/mom said...

Congrats Jack! You're so BRAVE! And good effort Suz! It's not easy putting together a talk with such short notice.

m_perfect said...

3x5 cards stink, especially if you drop them. I scribble it all on one paper and wing it from there. The Bishopric then learns from experience that I am not a great talk giver and leaves me alone from then on which is kind of a shame because I really don't mind giving talks.
Way to go Jack! Getting up is half the battle. Knowing when to sit down is the victory!