Thursday, July 10, 2008

Milk Man

Having milk delivered to your house is fairly common here. While I think that it's a "cool" idea, I resisted the idea and went with supermarket milk. I don't want to have cooler sitting on my front stoop advertising my conformity.

When we first moved we had to taste various brands of milk until we found the brand that we liked best. Jack is the milk connoisseur and he's one that drinks it the most. He likes the Safeway "Lucerne" brand.

Well, the other night a dairy truck was driving down the street trying to attract new customers. The salesman/milk man was spouting off all the advantages to their milk; freshness, reusable jugs, yadda yadda yadda. Lucky for them I had run out of milk that day. I was willing to try their free milk and sign up for delivery. More importantly, Jack tried it and deemed it good. That was the selling point for me!

I'd like to say I'm not usually so willing to sign up for new services, but I think that this will be a good one to try. It seems like lately, I'll run out of milk and have to go to Safeway for just that. Nothing like wasting precious gas on a milk run to the grocery store. So, straight from the cow to our fridge in 36 hours, we'll be enjoying our "fresh" milk.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

We had milk delivered to our house when we were kids. I remember for a while it came in plastic pouches - we had a pitcher that the pouches went in, then you cut off the corner. Bad idea. The stupid things had a tendency to fall out of the pitcher when they were getting low on milk plus, if you didn't cut them just right, they dribbled. I think mom would freeze them - and that was another problem - not waiting for the milk to fully thaw - so that you either had concentrated milk, or milk colored water.

Keira said...

That is sooooo weird. If you have another baby your husband will have to start worrying about the milkman.

That's so 1953.

Lori said...

We had a milkman when I was growing up. He would actually come in and put our milk in our refrigerator for us two days a week. Maybe that is why I, too, amvery picky about the taste of my milk. It has to be just right or I wont drink it. I hope Jack has many happy milk memories with your new milk delivery.

Mad Runner said...

I remember how much Michelle Turner LOVED the milk at our house. I swear the milk bags fell out about once a meal. I can remember David and I playing catch with one once - okay, maybe twice but that was it! It didn't break but it was VERY frothy!

Kim said...

Wow, I didn't know this really existed anymore. I thought the milkman was just something done in the 50's. How cool.