Thursday, July 31, 2008

Travel Toothbrushes

While I had a great vacation, it was a little odd to not have internet for a week. I think that I would/should have kept notes all week because it seems like a blur now that we're home.

Even before we left last week I was in vacation mode. I didn't want to clean the house, but I knew that if I at least straightened up then I wouldn't feel as bad when we got home. So with all the craziness of last Sunday/Monday (trips to the doctor), I managed to do a bazillion loads of laundry and somewhat clean the house. The nice thing about laundry right before a trip is folding and putting it right in the suitcase. I'm amazed that with the five of us, we managed to fit almost all our stuff in two suitcases. Note, almost all our stuff.

Inevitably, when packing for a trip I will forget something. It was when we left the house for the airport that I started my mental list of everything I meant to do but didn't. I meant to go upstairs one last time and grab toothbrushes and my curling iron. Those are the things that I forgot to pack. I don't stress out about those thing, because I know that I can usually buy whatever I forgot or do without.

I bought new toothbrushes for the kids and I, we definitely couldn't do without those. The curling iron I was on the fence whether I needed it or not. Luckily the drugstore had a store brand that was on sale and I was happy to pay the $8.99 to have a curling iron for the week. As it turns out, my hair was none too happy with the humidity. Best purchase all week.

So, with all the traveling that everyone has done, what have you forgotten?

7 comments:

Debbie said...

I don't think this really counts as "forgotten" - it was more a case of vacation throwing my system out of whack. Anyway, buying feminine "stuff" in Tokyo was an adventure.

I am more than a bit obsessive about making lists before I travel - it has something to do with all those spur of the moment trips to the beach/mountains/picnics we went on when I was a kid. The ones that we invariably forgot something semi-vital. Matches, can opener, silverware, towels, change of clothes.....you name it.

Rae said...

Colby and I went on a cruise when I was pregnant with Gabe, and I totally forgot to pack underwear, worse thing to forget ever.

Michael said...

I forgot my wallet once, when flying to Hawaii. I forgot my airline ticket when flying to England.

Keira said...

Jonah just forgot his toothbrush and paste for his Seattle trip. But while flying, I find the better question is: What have you had confiscated?

Debbie said...

Nothing.

Yet.

Kim said...

I'm always forgetting random things for the small trips. I've stopped keeping track. I do make a list when I'm going on a big trip though.

AM Runner CA said...

Jim almost left us in Hawaii when Lauren was 8 mo, Tylor 2 1/2, and Connor 4 1/2. He almost got on a direct flight from Maui to SFO on accident (or so he says) and they almost let him!! At the last moment someone noticed he had a connecting flight in Honolulu - where we were visiting Sheila. That would have been H-E-Double-Toothpicks! Traveling with little kids on a day flight back to SFO.