Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cub Scouts

Pack meetings are not my favorite things to attend. This week the meeting was planned for a park cleanup, which made the idea of attending tolerable. I was actually thinking of ducking out of going but I got a last minute plea to bring treats. If you sign on the bring treats, there is no ducking out.

After much "food storage" discussion with an unnamed sister, I determined that I need to beef up my cake/brownie/dessert in a box storage. I didn't have my usual bag of chocolate chips, all I had was a partial bag of mini chocolate chips. In a lack luster burst of enthusiasm I decided to make a pan of mini chocolate chip cookie bars. Let's face it, how much effort do you want to put out for a Pack meeting?!

Michael and I decided to divide and conquer, leaving him home with the girls and Jack and I heading off to Pack meeting. I actually didn't mind having the meeting at the park, the noise level was considerably more tolerable and there was a purpose behind the meeting. The boys headed off in a feral pack to find wayward trash, the adult leisurely parading behind.

Once the trash was collected, the kids got their ecology lesson for the day and then headed for the treats. I tried to cut the bar into as many as I thought I could get away with, I still only ended up with 2 1/2 dozen cookies. I knew that someone else was bringing treats and figured that would be ok. Wrong. The other mom decided to bring "healthy" chocolate wheat cookies. The kids had gotten a warning that they could only have ONE treat. The poor kids that chose the chocolate cookie were looking longingly at my cookies. On the sly, I handed those kids another cookie.

I thought that I was "getting away" with less work because I make the bar cookies. The kids still appreciated the treat, even with the bare minimum of effort on my part. Note to self; Don't make fancy desserts for cub scouts.

1 comment:

m_perfect said...

Why work at something that is essentially going to be inhaled at a super sonic rate? Cookie bars are classic...so are rice krispy treats.