Saturday, December 20, 2008

Soup For You

Baked Potato Soup
I made this "mostly following" the recipe. Once you add the cheese and sour cream you shouldn't boil the soup, but the crockpot I used was so excited that I think that the soup got boiled and slightly separated. Still good.

INGREDIENTS

  • 6-8 baking potatoes
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 cups milk
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1 tablespoon garlic
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 12 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (divided, some for garnish)
  • 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions (to garnish)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Bake potatoes 1 hour in a 400 degree F (200 degree C) oven. Scoop out the inside of the potatoes and set aside. Reserve the skins for another recipe or discard.
  2. Cook bacon and reserve a couple teaspoons of grease to saute onion. Saute onions until translucent then add garlic. Set aside.
  3. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring until all the milk has been added. Bring heat to medium and keep stirring until the soup mixture starts to get thick.
  4. Add the potatoes, onions/garlic, salt, ground black pepper, bacon and cheese. Stir well and continue to heat for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors to blend. Stirring well, mix in the sour cream until well blended with the soup. Serve immediately.

Almost 6 Can Tortilla Soup

I omitted the canned chicken and used 3-4 cubed chicken breasts that I sauteed with a little garlic and various spices(meaning I can't remember what I used). This was really good with cheddar cheese, avocado, green onions, sour cream, and salsa to top.


I also made a Turkey White Bean Chili which is another easy one if you have all the ingredients. I think this is in the family cookbook as well.

Turkey White Bean Chili

INGREDIENTS

  • 2-3 cups cooked and chopped turkey (use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can green chilies
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
garnish- chopped cilantro, grated jack cheese

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a Dutch oven or kettle, cook the onions over medium heat until translucent then add garlic. Add oregano, cayenne pepper, and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, green chilies, beans and turkey. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20- 25 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and cheese.

4 comments:

Frankie/mom said...

Thanks Suzanne for the recipes. No one knows better than I how much trouble it is to type in a recipe! Thanks for your effort, I'll print them off and wait for a cold day in AZ to make them! (actually, we had frost on the 'pumpkin' this am! even tho we don't grow them here!) So maybe I'll make it tomorrow to be eaten all week? They all sound delicious!

m_perfect said...

Looks great! I always love soup in the winter and I may make this one soon...along with my super easy biscuits ( look for Johnson Bros in the phone book)
What is it with crock pots? I would love to have one that let me adjust the temperature ( what they think we're not smart enough?). Mine even boils a bit on low! Let me know when you find one!

Debbie said...

The white bean chili is in the cookbook - I made a big pot of it after Thanksgiving. It's great!

The "Almost 6 Can..." looks good - I have 4 cans plus chicken breasts. I also have some canned tomato - but not with the chilis. I suppose I could fake it...hmmm...I may have to make some this week. I'll bet some Marie Callendar cornbread would go mighty well with it.

Suzanne said...

The Chicken Tortilla was sooo easy I almost hate to admit how easy it was. It's one that is easy to fuss with and make with what you have. I bet cornbread would be great with it.

Unfortunately, my kids were unimpressed with all three soups, Jack actually asked if he could make Top Ramen. No, he didn't get the ramen, but I did bop him over the head.