Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Service Auction

Tonight at church we had a "Service Auction" that was a ton of fun. I've heard of these service auctions but never had an opportunity to participate. When I was explaining it to Michael, he thought that we were doing it to put money back into the church. No, we're not that altruistic. It was just a fun evening where women brought things they had made or volunteered to give/do and everyone "bid" on the item.

I volunteered to do a "photo shoot" and I was a little nervous to do so. I know I can take pictures (mostly of my kids), but there are two "professional" photographers in our ward. I figured it's a good way to get some more practice. Luckily, I know the person that won the photo shoot and hopefully I'll make her happy.

At the start of the auction, everyone got $500 imaginary money to start with. The items to bid on came out one at a time, so you didn't know if something better was coming out next. Not that it mattered, it was fun to see what people made or volunteered to do. There were a lot of home cooked meals that went up for auction. The highest bid of the night was $775 for a box of scrapbooking supplies. I ended up paying $500 for "free" babysitting. Seems spendy, but a night out with Michael? Priceless.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Dang! I wish you were closer. I would have totally bid on your services. What a fun idea.

Debbie said...

You are welcome to "practice" your photography skills as much as you'd like on my kids...although since they're all teenage and above, I'm thinking you might need the extra practice to make them look good. If it would help, I'd gladly give one or two of them a fat lip for you (just kidding')

Mad Runner said...

I love our service auction each year. I have done home made cards, a dinner, cookie dough and cleaning as donations. I am still waiting to schedule my 'How to make homemade mozzerella' that I won. I would bid on the babysitting but the women that donate that scare me a little..

m_perfect said...

I still want the kidphoto 101!!!