Saturday, September 20, 2008

A+ For Effort

We did it! Emma has such a good week at school that she earned a reward for her efforts. She had a playdate with a friend on Friday afternoon.

Last week her teacher and I came up with a "sticker" program for good behavior at school. Emma and I sat down and discussed what kind of rewards she could earn by behaving at school. At first she wanted to earn toys. I nixed the idea because I didn't want more toys added to the millions they already have. Instead we came up with activities that she could do. The list included;

-invite a friend over
-make cookies with Mom
-paint nails
-go swimming
-rent a movie of her choice

Let's hope that we've turned a corner and will not have anymore "incident reports" . Dare I ask for more ideas to add to the reward list?

4 comments:

m_perfect said...

Bravo Emma! It's tough when you're brilliant to settle down to an ordinary school day, so again, bravo!
Here are some additional suggestions-
-Doing a special craft
-Going to the park or the zoo (could save up for this one!)
-Having a bedtime story
-Going somewhere alone with Mom or Dad
-Choosing a game to play for the family or with a parent.
The last two were extra special for me when I was a kid because alone time was almost nonexistent
(the logistics alone!). I especially remember playing checkers with Dad on Sunday afternoons ( he gave no quarter but it was fun anyway).

Keira said...

Way to go Suz. It's always nice when you figure out your kid's triggers.

Remember Jonah and the Popsicles? And he still doesn't suck that thumb.

Debbie said...

Yeah Emma!

Good job on finding activities instead of things for rewards.

Suzanne said...

Wait, what? Keira, I don't remember the thumb sucking and popsicle promises. I need to start some weening program for Lily. We did use Otterpops as "potty" rewards. When did you start this intervention for Jonah?