Sunday, September 14, 2008

Primary Program

I love the two Sundays a year that the children at church file up front and entertain us with comical quips and shouts into the microphone. Today is the Primary program and I have two out of three sitting up front. Lily will be sad that she can't go sit up there, Emma is excited, and Jack is ambivalent. There are lots of songs to remember and Jack is not fond of singing.

I substituted for Emma's teachers the last two weeks so I feel like I got a sneak peak at the program. The kids also went on Friday for a quick run thru of the program. Perhaps because I was there both Sunday's that the kids practiced, these kids have been practicing A LOT! I'm sure there will be mistakes that make it all the more entertaining once the kids are in front of an audience.

So Debbie, if Fast Sunday is open mic Sunday, what is Primary program Sunday called at your house?

3 comments:

Debbie said...

We don't have a name for it...but it tends to be rife with comedy. How about "Sunday Morning Live".

There always seems to be a little shy Sunbeam that holds the hem of her skirt up to her face - thus flashing the entire congregation, another Sunbeam or Star A that speaks VERY loudly directly into the mic (usually with their mouth on it). My favorite are the ones that get their words wrong (constipated instead of consecrated...that kind of thing) And lets not forget the child (often a boy) who is totally tone deaf and sings louder than the entire Primary put together.

I remember when Andrew was a Sunbeam his line was "I will be morally clean"(Why have a Sunbeam say this?!?). Anyway, he couldn't pronounce his r's or l's- so it came out " mow wa wee. Good times.

m_perfect said...

I, too, love the Primary program but I have very few memories of even the ones I have participated in. The highlights that come to my mind are things like how wonderful it is to go to church anywhere and if its the Primary Program your kids can join in and blend almost seamlessly ( like the one week we lived in Tennessee-- they knew all the songs and just needed the usual promptings on what to do!). My favorite Primary program that I witnessed happened here in SE Idaho where the kids sang "Follow the Prophet", each class marching up to sing there own verse like the dancers in a Busby Burkley musical...it WAS inspiring!

Mad Runner said...

I call it an opportunity. Yes, I have wiggled out of talking at all this year (I love being in charge!)I get to shine by doing nothing - it's true. I get a ton of compliments and I have only had to type it up into something for the teachers to follow - excellent work if you can get it!

My best PP moment was 4 yrs ago, Tylor was 5, Jim was flipping houses and his subject was "What do your parents do for you". Now it was supposed to be about church but his teacher let him say..."My mom earns all the money because my dad doesn't have a real job."