Saturday, November 15, 2008

Ice Skating

We have an outdoor ice skating rink in town and today was the opening day. We never went last year and I figured a "free" day was a good way to try it out. By free, you end up paying in other ways.

Surprisingly we were able to find hats and gloves for everyone. The weather was holding at a balmy 55 degrees. Perfect weather to slide around on the ice.

Because it was a free day, everyone in town was there. Meaning, you were lucky if you got a skate in the size that is close to your actual size. Jack nearly freaked out when he discovered that he couldn't move his toes. Lily was ok until I had her stand on the skates, then she wouldn't let go of my leg. Emma was the first to get her skates on and was on the ice before I even had on my skates.

Jack lasted about 25 mintues, only because he had a friend that was there, otherwise he would have been off the ice in under a minute. Emma had a blast, right up until she fell on her face and get a little banged up. She lasted the longest of all of us, I might just taking her next time.

Lily and I went halfway around the rink. She was SCREAMING and crying so hard that I'm sure other parents were in disbelief that I would take her on the ice. I thought that getting one of the "walkers" for her would help. No go, the walker made it worse.

Pretty much Lily and I sat on the picnic bench watching Jack and Emma. Then when Jack was done, Emma was the last kid standing. If there's a next time, bigger skates for Jack and leave Lily at home.

5 comments:

Frankie/mom said...

How very brave of you to not only take to the ice, but do it when the entire townsfolk were there as well! Sounds like you may have found something wonderful for Emma to excel in. But, where were the wonderful pics? I guess holding 3 kids leaves to hand space to hold a camera, right?

Suzanne said...

I had to leave the camera at home. I might have killed my camera if I tried to take it on the ice.

m_perfect said...

I, too, wondered briefly "where were the pics" and then I wondered where was my head...little kids and outings...it's been much too long!
Do you wonder if Emma would be scared to do anything? Diving with sharks? Sky-diving? Eating snails?
I sincerely doubt it...gooooo Emma!

Debbie said...

I've never even been on a pair of ice skates. Never. Considering how poorly I manage to roller skate I have decided that discretion is the better part of valor.

Perhaps if I had started younger...

Keira said...

Why am I not surprised that Emma was the first one on and the last one off?