Wednesday, November 26, 2008

It's Begining to Feel A Lot Like Thanksgiving

It's the day before Thanksgiving and I have started the long process of Thanksgiving dinner. The turkey sat in a cold bath for a few hours today in hopes that it's completely defrosted for tomorrow. I started the sweet potatoes and just need to heat them up. Rolls are being mixed as I type. I decided to do them today, mostly to have them done and not wimp out making them.

Admittedly, I am making a "lean" dinner. I am going to forgo the mashed potatoes (probably the gravy as well) since the kids are barely interested in them. I wouldn't mind cutting out the stuffing, but Michael requested that. I asked the kids if they wanted green beans, I got an emphatic NO. Jack will be helping me make broccoli instead.

As for dessert, the traditional pumpkin pie was made today. I called Debbie for pumpkin pie assistance, but she was the wrong sister to call for pie questions. The directions called for the pie to be in the oven for just over an hour, mine was in for an hour and twenty-five minutes. It looked jiggly when I took it out, but it managed to firm up nicely. As for the taste? Well, nothing a lot of whipped cream can't cover, right?
I was going to make an caramel apple pie, but I'm afraid that I don't have it in me. I went to the grocery store this morning and forgot to buy the caramels. Being resourceful, I decided to make
dulce de leche but that takes a long time and I might make a back up dessert. I'm not sure that I want to make a whole pie, perhaps apple crisp with the dulce de leche drizzled on top. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I might just cut up apples and dip them in the sauce.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Here's hoping your bird is thawed by tomorrow. Did you go ahead and get a whole bird? I thought you were going with only a turkey breast.

Keira said...

Not making mashed potatoes?! There are some people who would kill for those mashed potatoes...

Suzanne said...

I got the whole bird..something about a turkey leg for Michael to gnaw on.

If it makes you feel any better Keira, I think I had a dream about the mashed potatoes. I may end up making them.