Monday, March 9, 2009

Switching Places

Michael cleaned up the garage this weekend and it looks great. We're kind of in limbo, we'd really like to organize it, but we need to decide what belongs in there and what doesn't.

In the midst of cleaning, we decided to switch where we park our cars. It's like switching sides of the bed. Once you have established "your" side, it remains yours. Once in a while I will switch sides of the bed just to mess with the kids. I strategically picked the side of the bed furthest from the door. Well, our sleepwalking kids know how to find me. Luckily, Michael has become a much lighter sleeper and will hear the kids before they even get to our door.

It'll be a while before I've retrained myself to park on the other side of the garage. I tend put things in a spot and leave it there. I thought long and hard where to put things in the kitchen cabinets before I committed to putting things there. Every once in a while I'd like to shake up my house (like a snowglobe), but I find that I'm really a creature of habit. Have you ever completely rearranged your kitchen after you'd lived in a house for a while?

5 comments:

Debbie said...

ummm. no.

I have done significant portions - like the pantry, but nothing so crazy as to change the silverware drawer with the foil/baggies drawer.

AM Runner CA said...

I did move things around in my kitchen last year and I will still reach for things in the 'wrong' drawer the first time. I like it better where it is and maybe in another 10 yrs I'll remember it's there the first time.

I want to rearrange everything but can't think of how I want to move it ... so I don't.

We're dorks.

m_perfect said...

It occurs to me that if I were to go blind I might know where things are if I don't move them too much. Since I moved in though, Wynn can't find a thing in the kitchen. I wasn't sure what that meant at first...until I discovered that it meant unloading the dishwasher is now my job (ad infinitum)...if I want to find anything that is!

Keira said...

I in the middle of rethinking the whole enchilada...

Michael said...

"Luckily, Michael has become a much lighter sleeper"

Wait. What? Luckily?