Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Book Fines

The last time I returned books to the library I was a couple days late. I knew I had a fine, but I wasn't sure how much. I don't have any cash in my wallet, but the need for some new books outweighed the fine issue. I was ready to plead my case or use one of the kid's library card if the fine was over $.42, the exact change in my wallet.

I browsed the books and found a couple for me, one for Michael, and a couple movies for the kids. I chanced it and handed my library card to the librarian. "Oh, you have a fine", she says, "That'll be $.30." Nice. I paid my fine, got my books, and all was right with the Longmont Library system.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

I feel a little better about living in Marysville now. I was awfully jealous of your rec center (and I still am), but our library system rocks. No fines. None. If you lose a book you have to buy it, but in our 13+ years of belonging to the Sno-Isle library system we've only had to pay for 1 or 2 books.

When we lived in Everett I was often getting fined for having videos an extra day. I hated that. And I think the fine was like a $1 a day (at least).

Suzanne said...

If I remember correctly, I returned 3 books late. So at $.10 a day, that's much better then the Ventura County Library system which was $.25 a day.

I am impressed with the "no fine" rule. I go in spurts of checking books out and when I renew of check out new ones, I get confused on which ones I need to return or renew.

Keira said...

I miss you both. Expect a whispered, desperate phone call from my walk-in closet today.

Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephen said...

Just because you have company Keira, you think you can skip out on your civic duty of blogging.