Saturday, March 29, 2008

Creative Cooking

I'm kinda in a cooking rut. I make the same meals over and over because it's easier to go on autopilot and just get food on the table. I don't mind trying new things, but it's a safe bet that the kids will not like something until I've made it 200 hundred times..at least. By then, I'm tired of making it.

To mix things up a bit this week we had "Chili Dog Thursday" and "Flank Steak Friday". Quite the culinary expedition at our house. It is fairly comical to get to an end of a meal and see what the kids have deemed edible. Emma decided that she liked the chili. Lily, I'm fairly sure is a Tyrannosaurus Rex, she ate three pieces of the steak.

Both meals were ready in under 20 minutes, which makes them a big hit in my book. Perhaps the one thing that would make them even better would be a grill. We opted to not move our grill as it was getting too small for our family and it did not make the "keep" list when we were editing our stuff to move.

I'm looking forward to summer and the season of the grill. Nothing makes a meal better than grilling and having fewer dishes to wash.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Keep expectations low. I used to think (decades ago) that if your children didn't eat what you fixed for dinner that that was somehow bad. I took it personally if they didn't like dinner.

Ah yes, years and experience have taught me otherwise.

Suzanne said...

Really low, check.

Mad Runner said...

Oh, come on! If you keep it low then when you do have the time and energy to make something good you won't remember how! Throw caution to the wind and fix salmon and capers, Italien hash, pepper steak and onions, fish tacos! If I could say 'More Flavor' in French I would! (This is all being said as my husband is serving smoked brisket for dinner ... mange!)

Suzanne said...

You know I love capers. My kids ...not so much.

Pfft. Smoked brisket?! Whatever.

(When can I come over for dinner?)