Saturday, March 8, 2008

Spring has Sprung

In an attempt to decorate for "Spring", I went to Michael's and bought some "perpetual" flowers. (Let's face it, I love real flowers but I murder them. Someday I might be able to handle a cactus...maybe when the kids have grown up and moved out. ) I also bought some craft paint for a few plaques that I thought might look cute in spring colors.



I love spring colors. Pastels and the brights both work for me. I tried to look for a nice tangerine orange and a lime green paint. I ended up with florescent safety vest orange and some color of green that I didn't think was possible. The green I worked with and tried to tone it down with matching paper. The orange... I had to paint over it. I'm not sure that Pepto Bismol pink is my first choice for Spring, but I was not going to have day-glow orange as part of the Easter festivities.


As a side note; I'm an idiot. (no comments may be made regarding this statement) I had the leftover pink paint on a paper plate on the kitchen counter. I figured it would dry and then I'd throw it away. Well, I got distracted with kids running in and out of the house and when one of Emma's friends was walking out the door with paint on her finger I thought; "Hmm, that's strange. Where did she get paint from?" Well, she was forthright and told me that Emma told her to touch the paint plate. No worries, we washed the paint off her hand and that was that. Or so I thought.

When Lily got in bed, I was about to turn the light off when I noticed the graffiti on the wall. Pepto pink on light pink paint. I yelled for Emma to come upstairs and explain herself. She knew what was coming. I had just had a discussion earlier in the day about wiping blood from a cut on her walls and how that's not the place to wipe ANYTHING. I must have had a moment of clarity because I didn't yell at her. I knew the paint would come off, but she had that look of "I better not say a word or I'm going to get in bigger trouble."

Someday she will be a famously talented artist/cake decorator and I will wish that I had taken a picture.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm waiting for the pictures....

Debbie said...

I too like real flowers much better than. I filled two of my larger deck planters with primroses. Not my favorite flower, they have ugly leaves - but they should last for at least a couple of months (this time of year) without any attention whatsoever (plus they were only $1 each). My MIL loves them, and comments on them every time she sees them. I don't know of any indoor flowers that would survive me. And I think African violets have creepy leaves too.

Like the plaques, wish I could have seen the dayglo orange....

Keira said...

I love the plaques and I don't know what your problem was with the egg wreath colors--they really suit everything--I also love how you are perpetuating the green candles from Christmas.

I guess this only leaves me as the lame sister--but I DID get Debbie to volunteer her husband to build me some book cases and a mantle.

How do you like me now?

Suzanne said...

To you Keira...pfft.

Actually that's very cool that you are on your way to having a mantle/bookcase.