Sunday, May 4, 2008

Yardwork

I can't say that I love weeding, mowing, and trying to keep plants alive, but when it's done I feel pretty good about it. I guess my motto is "Do no harm." We'll see if our yard makes it through the summer with that in mind.

Yesterday I finally got around to starting up the mower. Surprisingly it started up after two tries. This is the mower that we bought a week after we moved here and realized that we were in charge of our own lawn. We found the mower at a yard sale around the block for $11.00 and walked it home. Anyhow... I got the lawn mowed and I'm not sure that I actually cut any grass. Parts of the lawn still have the ugly brown winter look to it, while the edges seem to be long enough to hike thru.

About a month ago I decided that bushes needed to be trimmed. I'm still hoping that the plants recover from the shock of getting flat top haircuts. The rose bushes seem hardy enough, they have leaves on them finally, but there are a few bushes out front that might have decided to die on me. I also have a tree out front that seems to have given up. That one is not entirely my fault, it looked sickly when we moved in.
The good news about the "gardening" that goes on around here is that Emma is all to happy to to help. Sure I need to teach her the difference between flowers and weeds, but that's just in the details. Emma has been putting up makeshift "bird feeders" for the birds. I guess we need to work on a real birdhouse.

3 comments:

Keira said...

That's right. I take the Hippocratic oath each spring as well.

My back yard looks pretty hairy though--Mean Green Mother From Outer Space bad.

Rae said...

I know how you feel about yard work. I feel like I spent all last spring and summer working so hard on weeding and trimming, and everything still looks terrible. I have a black thumb. But there are so many planted areas on our property. The neighbors said they landscaped right before they put the home on the market. I guess they didn't realize how much work it would be to maintain. Stop by our sit sometime http://thekochfam-raeanne.blogspot.com/

-RaeAnne Koch

Debbie said...

I like your motto. Mine would be...hmm...."Teach a child to mow, then make it his chore".