Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Surreal Life

I feel like I walked into the Twilight Zone and I may not want to go back to real life.

In an effort to keep Lily busy and satisfy a need for books we rode the bike to the library. The ride there isn't too bad, once I get up a small hill, the ride there is mostly flat or downhill. The way home is just the opposite. I tried to find as flat a way home as possible, but it still felt like I was biking up a mountain.

I purposely limited the number of books and how large the books were. Lily nearly insisted on a large irregularly shaped board book. It was a no go for that book. She was probably happy about my limits, she was the one holding the bag of books on the ride home. As it turns out, it was to my benefit for her to hold the books. They made the perfect headrest. She fell asleep five minutes from home.

So, I'm home with new books, a sleeping child, and not a thing that I "have" to do. The house has an eerie silence. I may have to start a load of laundry to break the surreal quality of silence.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I love the "sound of silence"...for a while. Then I start the laundry, dishwasher, computer, tv, etc...

Lori said...

Back to school silence. Can't wait.

Mad Runner said...

Quiet, too quiet makes me nervous. I have to go find my kids when it is too quiet. Every year I have to re-adjust when school starts and not walk around the house every 15 minutes looking for my kids.

Congrats!

AM Runner CA said...

Connor wants to come see Lily. He misses her yelling his name every 2 seconds and hugging him. He likes his little cousin!! (Don't tell but he said she was really cute sleeping.)