Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Coolness factor

During our dinner conversation, my coolness factor went way up.

Jack and Emma had a singing concert this evening, luckily at the same place and same time. They were bouncing off the walls as soon as we got home from school from the excitement of having an evening activity. Emma ran in the house and found her "fancy" dress for the concert. I did have to remind them that they had several hours before we had to leave, we even had to eat dinner.

As we sit down for dinner, Jack asks me if I was ever in a band. As soon as I said yes, Jack asks; "What did you play and what was the name of your band?" Yup, I just hit "cool" with the kids.

Jack has been playing Rock Band with his friends and I can see in his mind that I must have been in a band like that. I thought that I was going to disappoint when I told him that I played the trumpet and that I was in the school band. Nope, just young enough to be impressed that his Mom played in several bands.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

I have a trumpet player in my seminary class - she played our opening hymn this morning (High on a Mountain Top).

It was awesome.

Frankie/mom said...

See, hauling that trumpet back & forth to school every day PAID BIG dividends! Of course, you do know it will not be 'so cool' when your kids are, say 14, 15 or 16, right? I know we have some video of your band playing somewhere around here...now THAT would impress them!

Keira said...

I'd like to think the fact that you were Head Dork...er...Lead Trumpet will count for something.

Michael said...

I would like to see that video

Debbie said...

The term is "band geek", so Sue would have been head geek.

AM Runner CA said...

I was never Lead Geek and somehow the flute is much less cool to kids. I missed having that 'coolness' factor with my kids ... probably by a mile.

I did get asked to play in Sacrament meeting in December because someone heard I played. I think they missed the past tense...

Suzanne said...

I just wanted to be cool like Brian.

BPowerful2 said...

I have a coolness factor as well with playing the saxophone.;) I've even impressed some teenagers. Obviously it won't be my own. yep I'm cool! Well, when I through in the JAZZ Band I'm cool. They only thing that annoyed me is that I COULDN'T play in sacrament; apparently the Sax is just too rambunctious!