Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tears for Fears

My least favorite part of school is homework. There have been a few too many tears this week during homework time. I realize it is a necessary evil, but it is tortuous at our house. I would like to turn a corner and not have it be such a tear fest. With each successive grade, the load is expanded. So far I feel like I've been able to handle the "Jack" amount of homework. Emma has had it fairly easy until after Christmas this year, then she started the Spelling homework. I'm not sure you've heard me whining about spelling before.....oi, Spelling!

I decided to try a different tactic today. Jack was dropped at a friend's house for 1 hour. That's an awkward amount of time, too short to really get anything done before you get to turn around and pick up again. I went to the library with the girls instead of going back home. Emma sat at the table and busted out her homework with little to no complaining. Awesome. When she got done, we were able to check out books and then head home.

I'm thinking that I need to add a "Library Homework Day" during the week. With homework races against the clock, I shouldn't have anymore problems, right?

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Whatever works...when the library stops being incentive enough you could try somewhere else...

AM Runner CA said...

The library is too much of a temptation for my kids - no work done there! Glad it is working though. Anything to break the montony and frustration!

Frankie/mom said...

How smart are you?! Way to ramp it up! Change of scene always works...for awhile...but then there's always a NEW SCENE to find! Dangle that carrot!