Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Michael surprised me by doling out the kids to very generous friends so that we could have a night all to ourselves in Boulder. I was VERY surprised that he pulled it off. I was only going to kill him a little when he "said" he was going to the store to buy a birthday card and dropped Lily off at a friend's house. When he came home, I asked if Lily was asleep in the car. He said, "not quite." Then he asked if she could get out of her carseat by herself. I said no and assumed that she'd fallen asleep in the car.

Well, I went out to check on her and she wasn't in her carseat. Then I went and checked if Michael had put Lily in bed..then our bed..on the couch...then I freaked out. I asked Michael, "Where's Lily?!"
"At a sleepover," he replied.
"This isn't funny, where's Lily?!"
"She's at her friend's house", said Michael.

I didn't connect any dots that Jack and Emma's friends were "conveniently" having sleepovers on the same night. I figured that we'd have a nice quiet evening with just Lily. After all, you can do almost anything with just one child.

So, we did have a quiet evening last night..with no kids. Thanks Michael. Thank you Melissa, Marnie/Carl, and Heather for taking the kids.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm very impressed with Michael's awesome sweet skill: stealth elimination of children.

Not just any child either. A toddler. Wow. That's some mad parenting survival skill.

Happy Birthday. 28 years ago today Steve and I got engaged.

Keira said...

Wow. You've been there only, what, 9 months or something and already you know enough people to take each kid? And Michael engineered it? Good husband.

Maybe you should think about presenting him with just one more proof of your affection.

Mad Runner said...

Connor says: This is a really cool idea on Uncle Mike's part! I imagine for a parent it would be absolutely wonderful. Happy Birthday Aunt Suzanne!