Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lar' in Gytis

I've been trying to get over this "Spring Cold" that I keep trying to tell myself that I don't have. I couldn't raise my voice yesterday, much to Emma's advantage (refer to previous "Emma" posts). Today, I sound like a have been smoking a pack a day for the last forty years complete with a smoker's cough. I'd like to move past this stage to the preferred sexy Marlena Dietrich raspy voice. For now, I'll just tell people that I have "Lar in Gytis".

Lar' in Gytis was invented in the second or third grade. I woke up one morning and I had a frog in my throat. I felt fine, but I didn't want to go to school that day. One of my sister's (probably Debbie) was coming home to visit and I wanted to be home when they got there. Mom was not one to let us miss school for a phantom illness.

Mom must have been in a good mood when I told her that I had Lar' in Gytis and I couldn't go to school, because she actually let me stay home from school. I did have to write the excused absence note which is where the spelling of Lar in Gytis came from. I had no idea how to spell such a fantastic illness, but if I could wing it I could stay home. Any hopes for a medical career were dashed because I can't spell illnesses and I was writing too legible. I'm sure my teacher thought we were nuts, but that's ok, I know how to spell laryngitis now.

4 comments:

Keira said...

I knew Mom loved you more than me. I tried the same trick once and was busted faster than you can say, "Here's a diaper, Marcy!"

Debbie said...

I used to fake throwing up. First you lock the bathroom door. Next, fill up one or two glasses with water. Finally, while making retching noises pour the appropriate amount of liquid into the toilet. It also helps to pat water on your face so that you feel clammy. I only used that for a few years - when I was old enough not to have to go to the babysitters (probably 5th grade) through 9th - when Suzanne was born and Mom decided to be a stay at homer. Even when I did use it - it had to be for a really good reason. That reason was that a good morning movie was going to be on.

I'm pretty sure the folks knew that I wasn't feeling too bad - I was usually left with a gianormous pile of laundry to fold.

Really a win-win situation.

Pam said...

Hey Suzanne, I hope you don't mind but I found your blog through Kim's so I thought I would come and take a look. It sounds like all is good but we miss you alot here. I still have pics from our bowling night that I need to get to you. Maybe I will post them on my blog. Hope you don't mind if I check back often.

Suzanne said...

Pam, I found your blog and have been reading it as well. It's nice to catch up with everyone. I LOVED the Price is Right Pictures, looks like everyone had a great time.