Friday, April 25, 2008

A Long Lunch at the DMV

It was long past due to get our cars registered. I was starting to get heckled on the streets about our "California" plates. Michael took a long lunch yesterday and met me at the DMV. After waiting two minutes, our number was called and we found our DMV lady. It was all going too perfectly. That's when our attempts to register our cars hit the brakes. We needed Michael's current registration or car title and current insurance info. Admittedly, I'm not as organized as you all might think. Paperwork gets sucked into a black hole as soon as it enters our house.

So, we left the DMV and came home to find papers. Michael got our insurance to fax us new cards, while I searched frantically for the car title. As I went through our files/boxes I discovered that I keep too many useless papers and I really need to toss about half of what we have. I didn't find the title, but Michael found a current bill for registration and we crossed our fingers that that was enough to get his car registered.

Back to the DMV, this time there was a line and had to wait. We didn't have to wait long before our number was called. The first time I went to the DMV (see previous post), they estimated that it would be @$310 to register the van. I thought that was kinda high and was not excited to find out how much it would cost for both cars. Luckily the estimate was a little off and we were able to register both cars for under $400.00. We had our cars registered and had plates by the time we walked out of the DMV. (Kinda cool, we have consecutive plates for the cars, Michael's plate is one number higher)

In the words of Helen Parr; "We've officially moved in!"

2 comments:

Debbie said...

How cool to have your plates be consecutive numbers...It seems to me that as soon as I finally get one license plate memorized, we get another one. Ah, teen age drivers. Cash cows for insurance companies. Money pits for parents.

Evidently your DMV is much faster/more efficient than ours.

How big of a town is Longmont?

Keira said...

We will have officially moved in when I paint that awful shower room upstairs another color--not death green.